The Bethune-Thompson House in Williamstown owes its name to two prominent owners – the Reverend John Bethune and explorer David Thompson.
Reverend John Bethune (1751-1815), the minister of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in Williamstown and the first Presbyterian minister in Upper Canada, acquired the property in 1804.
In 1815, the house was acquired by David Thompson (1770-1857), the famous North West Company explorer who mapped much of what is now western Canada.
The Bethune-Thompson House is the oldest residence owned by the Ontario Heritage Trust. The house, a National Historic Site, is open year-round to the public, free of charge.