William and Benjamin Fairfield purchased Lot 11, Con 1 in Ernestown from the original Loyalist grantee, George McGinnis, in 1793. They built what is now known as the Fairfield-Gutzeit House in 1796. Both brothers were prominent in the community, serving as members of the Legislative Assembly. William was a magistrate and a commissioner of roads, and Benjamin was a member of the Court of Quarter Session and a businessman with special interests in shipping.
The Fairfield-Gutzeit is a Georgian Style home; one of the first dwellings built in Ontario on the shores of Lake Ontario in the historic village of Bath.
The campus consists of a large waterfront property that is owned and cared for by the charitable non-profit Fairfield/Gutzeit Society. This beautiful example of early Canada is fully furnished in the Victorian era. The main house is open for tours from the first of June until Labour Day.