Insight Advisor
Getting Around
Guides & Maps
Local Weather
Borders & Visitor Information
Pet Friendly

Getting Around

Local Weather

Borders & Visitor Information

Important Contact Information

Canadian Border Services Agency

General Info.

US Customs & Border Protection
Inquiries: 1-877-227-5511
Intl. Callers: 703-526-4200

Boat Registration

When Entering Canada by Boat

When you enter Canada by boat you must immediately call customs from a designated reporting station. These designated marinas will have a Revenue Canada Customs sign posted. You must report:

• Vessel number, registration, and name
• Citizenship, date of birth
• Country of residence of each person on board

Local designated reporting stations are:

  1. The lock station at Kingston Mills, and several marinas in the Kingston area.

IMPORTANT: People who are not Canadian or U.S. citizens must have valid passports or travel documents.

For more information please visit the Office of Boating Safety website.

International Visitors

You must carry proper identification for yourself and any children traveling with you to help confirm your legal right or authorization to enter Canada when you arrive.

All visitors arriving from or transiting through the United States should visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information concerning the requirements to enter, transit through, or return to the United States.

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate or citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

Members of a Trusted Traveler Program

U.S. Citizens – U.S. citizens who are members of the NEXUS program can use their membership card as proof of identification and citizenship when entering Canada by land, air or water. This applies when you are using either conventional or NEXUS only lanes. U.S. citizens who are members of FAST may use their membership card when entering Canada by land or water only. When traveling by air, FAST cards will only be accepted as proof of identification when you are traveling to Canada from the U.S.

U.S. Permanent Residents – NEXUS and FAST members who are permanent residents of the U.S. must still travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence. You may be asked to present these documents to the border Services Officer (BSO) when you arrive at the border.

No matter your mode of travel, we recommend you carry a valid passport for all travel abroad, including visits to Canada from the United States. A passport may be required by your airline or other transportation authority, since it is the only universally-accepted identification document.

For additional information about traveling with Children please visit:

  1. Children and Travel

For all additional information please visit:

  1. Canada Border Services Agency
  2. U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Pet Friendly