The Museum, which opened in 1966, comprises a collection of local artefacts and archives reflecting the history and industry of the canal and the surrounding urban and agricultural community.
The design and supervision of construction of the Merrickville Blockhouse was carried out by the Royal Engineers, commanded by Lt. Col. John By, R.E., in 1832-3. It is one of four blockhouses built at that time for the defence of the Rideau Canal. It was designated as a National Historic Site of Canada in 1939 and forms part of the works of the canal which was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2007. The Blockhouse is located immediately adjacent to the wall of the top lock at Merrickville.