Built in 1838-39, Fort Wellington today depicts its appearance and life in 1846 when the Royal Canadian Rifle Regiment (RCRR) was stationed here. The RCRR had been established a few years earlier for service in Canada and had been granted special privileges to discourage desertion.
Fort Wellington has survived virtually intact from the days when the RCRR was stationed there. Two buildings that once stood within the ramparts of Fort Wellington are, however, now missing: the guardhouse, to the east of the main gates, and the cookhouse, between the officer’s quarters and the latrine. Sentries rested in the guardhouse between shifts and the cookhouse was used for preparing the soldiers’ meals.